Thursday, September 15, 2011

FOOD REVIEW: Little Dom's (Griffith Park/Los Feliz in Los Angeles)

Oven Roasted French Toast Soufflé with
 Crème Fraiche Whipped Cream & Maple Syrup, $8
Grilled Housemade Italian Sausage, $5
Egg whites with grilled chicken (special order)
Housemade Italian Sausage, Roasted Peppers and Fontina Cheese Frittata, $8
Litlle Dom's is a popular hang out in the Los Feliz section of Los Angeles, just down the hill from Griffith Park. A friend of mine suggested it for a late breakfast meeting one weekday morning and I agreed.

On Yelp there was much discussion about Lil' Dom's French Toast Soufflé, so I figured that I had to try that. Ultimately, though, the soufflé was a bit disappointing because it is almost too light and airy. I generally like my french toast to be substantial and maybe even a little crinkly around the edges. Since the french toast soufflé does't actually use any "toast" it's really something completely different.

The frittata was a bit more successful. It was also light and airy like the soufflé but in an omelet this is an expected and more valued feature. The inclusion of the sausage and fontina cheese make it a nice hearty entree.

Overall, the food is good but I feel like  at Little Dom's it's almost over-thought. I only had breakfast there, which I think should just be simple. I would definitely visit there again for lunch or dinner to get a better sense of the establishment, but for breakfast I think I would rather go to The Diner (in Alhambra) or Yahaira's Cafe (in Pasadena).

Location: 2128 Hillhurst AvenueLos Angeles, California 90027.
Contact: 323-661-0055.
Visit: May 11, 2011.

AMBIANCE: A-.
SERVICE: A-.
VALUE: B+.
FOOD: A-. 

OVERALL: A- (3.583/4.0)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...